An inaugural meeting was held on the 8th August. The NZPFU was represented by Ian Wright (National Vice President) Mike Powell and Graeme “Norm” Gilroy (NZPFU reps for training) also in attendance were:
Ian Pickard - Chair - NTC
Kim Martin - NTC - Training business Services Manager
Lawrence Arps - Team Leader Training Quality.
This group was brought together to formalise a number of issues and map a process for dealing with matters relating to training that may have fallen under the previous “Training Standards Committee” work stream.
A brief summary of items discussed were:
- Terms of reference for further meetings
- Station Officer Leadership component
- Dealing with Training issues (review Career Progression document)
- Training and FENZ training materials (hyperlinks, information currency across organisation’s various groups)
- SSO Taps Programme (appeals time)
- Trainer 2 year secondment (returning to work)
- Outstanding Training issues (course qualifications, travel policy, time off prior to course etc.)
- TAPS Programme updates.
As a result a number of these items require further and involved development. Some issues relating to Regional Training were unable to be discussed but it is hoped that with the possible involvement of Regional Training at future meetings these matters can be progressed. A further meeting is planned for October. We encourage all members to contact their managers / trainer in the first instance to resolve issues as they arise in relation to training, but also notify your union representatives in regard to all issues with the resolution and with any outstanding issues so we can help and implement a national fix where appropriate.
These initial meetings will form the basis for the need and frequency of any future meetings. The Union will continue to work towards a more formalised structure to ensure matters in relation to training are addressed in a timely and effective manner in the future.