Members will be aware of this Review Team set up to look into bulling and harassment in the Fire Service and the Fire Service Culture.
The Union has no problem with such a Review being established. Bullying and harassment is absolutely unacceptable.
However, this Review has not been established as it should have been;
- The Union was not consulted at all before the Review was announced.
- The Union has not been consulted about the Review Terms of Reference.
- The Union was not consulted about the Review Teams make-up.
The Union does know Judge Coral Shaw from her days as an Employment Court Judge and has every confidence in her.
However the Review Team is extraordinarily light on any knowledge of the business and consequently has little if no knowledge of the Fire Service Culture.
This cannot help an informed outcome. As well, given the concerns expressed regarding Diversity it is somewhat confusing to see the make-up of the Review Team – hardly an expression of Diversity.
Members are advised that if they wish to talk with the Review Team (and members are encouraged to do so) that they;
- Ensure they are not alone when any meeting occurs.
- At the least keep comprehensive notes on what is discussed – preferably record the meeting.