The following information has been received from Fire and Emergency.
Can members please pass on this information to retired members or the families of retired members and request that they make contact with Fire and Emergency at: HolidaysActProject@fireandemergency.nz
Fire and Emergency remediation payments for former employees
- In 2016, the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) determined many organisations, including Fire and Emergency, had not been accurately paying holiday leave due to a misinterpretation of the Holidays Act 2003.
- Since 2017, a lot of work has been done to identify who was paid incorrectly so we can pay them what they are owed.
- We are making good progress and recently completed payments owed to current operational and non-operational employees. The next phase of the project is to focus on former employees.
- We have identified that there are over 1100 former employees who may be eligible for remediation payments, but we do not have up-to-date details for all these people.
- Over the next few months, efforts will be made to contact all former employees who are on our ‘Former Employees Register’. We will also, however, need to use a range of channels to reach former employees whose details we do not have.
- We have recently completed Holidays Act remediation payments to current operational and non-operational employees.
- We are now focusing on identifying and contacting over 1100 former employees who may be eligible for payments.
- We will be able to find some of these on our Former Employees Register but will need to use a range of channels to reach former employees whose details we do not have, for example, newsletters, Ignite magazine, union publications.
- We will be setting up a page on our external website for people to go to for information and forms that need to be filled out so they are included on our Former Employee Register
- Please advise your people so they are aware we will be seeking contact details for former employees.
- We would appreciate their assistance if they are in contact with former employees and can ask them to email us on HolidaysActProject@fireandemergency.nz
- If you require more information, or can advise us of former employee contact details, please email HolidaysActProject@fireandemergency.nz