Today the Minister announced more details on the Review.
The Union was present yesterday at a full brief (along with around 60 others) provided by the Minister and Officials from both the Fire Service and Department of Internal Affairs.
- New organisation – Fire and Emergency NZ – is expected to formally come into existence on 1 July 2017.
- The new organisation will merge the New Zealand Fire Service, 38 rural fire authorities and the National Rural Fire Authority.
- All members will transfer to the new organisation on all existing wages and conditions. There will effectively be no change from 30 June 2017 and 1
- New funding of $303 million over five years is provided to combine urban and rural fire services.
- $191 million of operating funding over 3 years is to be spent on present funding gaps – Particularly in the Rural area
- $112 million will be available to spend on moving to the new organisation.
- Legislation to effect the change will be introduced within the next three months.
- A transition committee of the Commission will be established and a Transition Director will be appointed.
The Union understand a transition office headed by this Director will be established and will have a number of staff. It is further expected there will be significant on-going consultation with the Union over all aspects of detail, with the Transition office.
- More detailed information is available from
Days in Lieu
The union is advised that the Fire Service has completed the work regarding correcting Leave entitlements and balances will be adjusted shortly. The Fire Service also advised that the work to correct payments will also be completed shortly and payments made.
Please contact the Union if you have any concerns regarding your situation.