The Union met today with Area 4 Management to discuss concerns raised by the Union with regard to training delivery for the new Level IV Gas Suits.
The matters of concern raised by the Union were:
- Current level of training is not adequate for such a vital ensemble of PPE.
- There needs to be a consistency to the training across all four Watches.
- Training must be to a standard that will survive scrutiny should there be a breach of the suit at an incident and an investigation or inquiry is launched.
- The Union supports staff undertaking a training role provided they have had training on how to train and are well versed in the subject matter.
- The purpose of the training must be about the process or equipment.
The Union has reached a suitable agreement with AM Gregory on the matters raised. We believe that the position adopted by Mr Gregory was one of recognising the safety needs of members and ensuring a high level of training delivery and a fully consistent approach to the introduction of the new Level IV Gas Suit.
The Union appreciated this consultation and the opportunity to reach an appropriate outcome.
We have no doubt that the safety of members within Area 4 regarding the introduction of new equipment, especially vital Personal Protective Equipment, has been appropriately addressed by Area 4 Management.
Sulu Devoe will be co-coordinating the outcome from a Union perspective with the SSO Group at Mt Wellington Station.
Gas Suit Repair and Maintenance
Notwithstanding the agreement reached today, the Union’s position regarding repair, maintenance and testing of Gas Suits remains the same; no members will undertake or train in this aspect of these tasks.
The Union’s position was adopted some time ago as a result of the Fire Service’s decision to remove B.A. Departments, and their roles, from our members.