Update – Hamilton
The Fire Service has established an Inquiry into all factors – pre, during and after – relating to the Tamahere Road incident. A four person Inquiry Team has been formed and the Union will be represented by the Union President, Steve Warner.
The Union Committee has resolved to appoint Peter Hallett, The Hamilton Local Secretary, to assist Steve during the Inquiry.
2. Day of Derek Lovell’s Funeral
The Union Committee recommends to members that at 1300 hours on Friday 11 April 2008 (the commencement of Derek’s Funeral), members parade outside Stations in Level Two Protective Clothing. Local Secretaries have been asked to co-ordinate this.
3. Time Bank
In response to suggestions from members outside of Hamilton, the Union is pursuing with the Fire Service, any ability for members working overtime to donate a Time Bank Shift for the use of Hamilton members, to assist affected Firefighters and their families.
If this is possible, details will be advised.
4. Hamilton Firefighters Charitable Trust
The documentation is now complete to establish the Trust and the Union’s advice is that shortly confirmation will be received that donations made will attract Tax-free status. The Union’s Solicitors Oakley Moran undertook this for the Union and any subsequent work associated with it, at no cost to the Union.
The Union established the Trust particularly to provide a formal legal structure to dispense the funds received. The distribution of funds collected will be determined by those best to know the areas of need – Firefighters in Hamilton.
Daylight Saving – SMS
SMS does not automatically accommodate the additional hour worked as a consequence of changing back from Daylight Saving. To ensure the claim for the extra hour’s payment, the following steps need to be taken:
- Open SMS and change to Roster Screen;
- Change the Calendar to April 5th Night Shift;
- On the Roster, click on the $ sign to add the hour’s overtime;
- Add the hour and select daylight savings;
- Change the date on the allowance entry to April 6th, and the time to 0200 hours;
- Finally, click save to add the entry.
Queries regarding SMS and Training
Members are advised that any queries regarding the above matters should, in the first instance, be directed to the Union representatives responsible:
- SMS to Peter Nicolle
- Training to Athol Conway or Denis Fitzmaurice, the Union reps on the Training Advisory & Monitoring Committee (TAMC).